UPDATE - Considering Ribbon Belts

Variation on a theme

I really love ribbon belts.
I think they add a nice touch of color to a casual summer look and replace the element of color you might lose not wearing a tie.
The gentlemen below do a great job working them into their looks in a way that is not too obvious and that harmonize well with the other colors and patterns they're wearing.

Personally ,in the summer, I wear a lot of solid colors - navy, white, khaki, grey - so I am always looking for accessories that can add a little color to my look but ,again, in a subtle way. Remember those color bracelets Michael Macko was wearing?


Unfortunately for me I have always found ribbon belts too wide for my size.
That is, until I found this belt at Brooks Brothers which is a typical ribbon (or actually woven tie silk) belt BUT it is unlined so I can scrunch it down a bit to make it much thinner.

It takes the effect of Fred Astaire and his tie-as-belt look.
I will probably remove the d-rings and tie the belt kinda like Astaire but I think it will read more sporty and not too precious.

Blog Archive