Grapes of Wrath & Sullivan's Travels

The big discussion about overalls the other day reminded me of this photo from Pitti.

More than just about overalls ,to me, this look is about how Japan sees our (American) historic costume - i.e. 30's Dust Bowl - in a much more romantic way than we even see ourselves.

As I have shown on this blog, there is a big American trend going on in Japan right now.

They romanticize us (Americans) the way we do the Italians or French (except there is also a big classic Italian trend in Japan right now also).

So instead of focusing just on just the "yes" or "no" of overalls maybe this post will get you thinking of other ,seemingly, forgotten American classics that might make it back in our closets this Fall.

This is how a look ,that I might not wear myself, can inspire me to look at a movie or book or see a related but completely different item of clothing in a different way and maybe work that item into my wardrobe.

From this look, I might only see the white collar shirt in a more casual way than I usually think of it.

Speaking of books like Grapes of Wrath...





... this photo also reminds me of that great Preston Sturges movie Sullivan's Travels (1941) with Joel McCrea and the incredible Veronica Lake







Here are some of the other images from January's Pitti of Japanese doing American classics




Blog Archive