The Sartorialist Goes Shopping For Fashion Week

With Fashion Week quickly approaching I thought it might be fun to take you with me as I prepare my wardrobe for about 30 days of fashion shows.

One of the most important elements in a successful shopping trip is timing.
If you are shopping for Fall, a quiet weekend in August is a great time to go. Everyone else is at the beach and new Fall collections have just hit the stores - and sizes are still available! This Saturday the city was empty and uptown was extra quiet so it was a perfect time to head up to Barneys!

Like any women would tell you "start at the bottom" - SHOES!

Lidfort ,which is exclusive to Barneys New York, is one of my favorite shoe brands.
Just classic enough but also just stylized enough, not to heavy-soled and clunky like a lot of Italian shoes and not too narrow and sole-less like a lot of English shoes.
I bought two pairs of Lidforts about ten years ago and they still look great!
Actually, that could be the basis for another post - is it smart to make shoes so well constructed that I only buy them every ten years? Even though I consider myself a loyal Lidfort customer the salespeople are a bit cold to me for the nine years in between purchases.

I love this single lace style and they are a perfect color. It goes without saying that I will not even consider wearing these until I get the proper shoes trees. I love the solid toe variety that doesn't split in the middle.
To me the most important aspect of a good shoe tree is the spring. The stronger the spring, the flatter your shoe will stay and not get the creases across the middle.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a website that sells good, I mean really good. shoe tress?

I never buy black shoes and I don't think I have ever bought loafers but these are just fantastic. For me it is the extended vamp in the front and the fact that they feel more like a "slip on shoe" than a loafer.

For the quality of Lidfort shoes I think they are a steal at around $500 each.

Tonight- buying my Ralph Lauren Black Label suit at The Mansion and tomorrow my adventures in buying APC jeans - it was pretty funny!

Blog Archive