On the Street ........Chicago Style


I really like the bottom half of this look - the shoes look good on her and i like the attitude of the belt but she loses a little with the top.

I will chalk up the lack a many good shots in Chicago to the fact I was there on a Friday in the Summer.

Overall though it was a bit disappointing. I grew up going to chicago for my first real taste of chic so I wanted to capture some of that but I guess you can't go home again.

I was especially disappointed in the service or lack thereof in most of the stores, Barneys women's designer floor being the worse. I must have walked that floor for 5 or 6 minutes and not a single "hello" or "Can I help you?". There were about 6 salespeople on the floor and they all saw me but I guess I didn't rate any service - too bad because I did end up buying a Hussein Chalayan dress for my wife that day at Blake.

Blake was a bright spot- Shopping Note To New Yorkers - if you are a size 2 or 4 or 6 and you can't find anything good on sale at Barneys or Bergdorf or If Boutique then call Blake I have never seen so much Dries on sale in so many small sizes! It is like the exact opposite of New York -I bet it has to do with an older customer base that needs larger sizes. Blake probably still has quite a bit of good Rochas, Dries, Marni, Chloe etc on triple markdown! i only saw one of each style on the floor but maybe they have more stock in back. Again we did not get very good sales help but they were the only store that was actually busy on a lazy Friday.

Ikram was the other store that lived up to expectations but the mens stores were less than exciting. Selection, display, inspirational salespeople were all in short supply. Again maybe it was because of the transition into Fall - but I don't really think so.

Come on Chicago! I know you are better than this! I will be back soon, in your best season - Winter!, so I hope to have a more inspiring trip then.

Other than the shopping, the rest of my vacation was great and I'm full of ideas and plans on how to make The Sartorialist even better! over the next six months.

Blog Archive