NEW! The Sartorialist Jr. for Cookie Magazine


The time I spent as a stay-at-home dad was the most rewarding and the most trying of my life. I would not have The Sartorialist today if it were not for that experience but I remember that during that time ,everyday, wondering if I was doing the right thing but I would always ask myself "how can raising your children ever be wrong?"

I'm proud that I accepted the responsibility with my full heart, and not as some distracted parent always talking on their cell phone. The best was when kids at the playground would see me playing with my own kids, look me up and down, and ask me, "How old are you?"

A huge part of the tone/voice of this blog was first articulated when I started talking to my kids about how I thought they should try to look at the world. Actually, the photo of Isabel with her arms up is probably the photo that began The Sartorialist (in my mind, at least). It’s everything I want to capture, joy, style and humor. What’s more, my dad loves that photo, which means the world to me.

For these reasons, I’m so happy to announce that I will be doing a page for Cookie Magazine, called The Sartorialist Jr. Which will basically be what I already do, but with parents and kids in mind.

The whole thing came about quite naturally: when I was in Europe during the shows, I kept seeing all these really cute kids dressed in a way I didn't see, here in the US. I wanted to take their pictures and bring them back to show my kids and beg them to let me dress them that way. I realize I'm not that different from other parents, so I thought it would make for a good page in an appropriate setting. I immediately thought of Cookie: it’s hip, cool, funny and not over-edgy. To me, it is the best kids magazine out there.

The first issue with my page should be out any day now.

Here’s a link to their website with more photos from my first page: The Sartorialist Jr. for Cookie Magazine

ps I swear I didn't tell Claudia to stand that way, some kids are just born with the pose gene.

Blog Archive