Fashionista or Just Another Very Stylish Young Lady


No, not Liv Tyler.

I’ve received a few emails lately saying that I’ve been shooting a lot of “fashionistas” during the shows. That’s true, but I guess I don't see it that way.

Because not all fashionistas are created equal.

Sure, some are high-paid editors, but just as many, if not more, are simply women and men, of all shapes and sizes and income levels, trying to do the best they can with what they can afford to buy. The magazine and retail industry are not known for big paychecks.

I think this young lady is a great example. I saw her at a few shows, but she is not a high-paid editor. No one is giving her a bunch of free clothes, but she has great style and was rightfully proud of her vintage (second-hand) Perry Ellis coat.

Later today I will post another shot of a young editor and how she wore her coat in two very different ways, which has everything to do with creativity and nothing to do with money.

Even the high-paid editors are mixing their camelhair, fur-trimmed coats with nylon windbreakers from American Apparel. That’s big style, not big bucks.

Another thing that I really like about this young lady is that she is obviously very attractive, but is not falling into the bimbo trap that so many young ladies fall into--that is, feeling they have to show skin to be considered sexy.

She reminds me of a young Lauren Hutton or Lauren Bacall. She was actually wearing some very librarian-esque glasses right before I took the photo.

Blog Archive