A Conversation With Alan Flusser

I'm always very interested in how people with great style first developed their style. I knew that Alan Flusser, author, designer, Sartorialist, had dedicated his first book to his father so when I met him the other day the first thing we talked about was what type of sartorial influence his father had on him.

"He was very interested in clothes and had very good taste, very good, I didn’t really realize how good until I got involved in the industry."

"He would wear a black cashmere sport jacket, grey flannel pants, white Brooks Brothers button-down shirt, grey lile socks with garters, black tassel alligator loafers, white handkerchief, club tie - black and white and yellow with a club figure, and a white ground with gold and black tattersall vest – if you can imagine all that, very classy but if I ever saw someone wearing that today I would fall over."

"From my background he was clearly the best-dressed man around and he thought Fred Astaire was the be all and end all. He was a Brooks Brothers aficionado and a Fred Astaire fan, so to have Brooks Brothers and Fred Astaire as your references, at least initially to look at, they were the right references."

Blog Archive