You Can't Buy Style But Maybe You Can Make It

You might remember Lily, I shot her in September wearing the white and black dot dress at Bryant Park. I ran into her yesterday wearing this cool skirt that she made herself (she says in about an hour).

I think a great item skirt is about the easiest and most impactful piece of clothing that most young women could easily make for themselves. Especially if you style it after those raw edge Prada skirts that have been in the shops the last couple of seasons.
When I took this picture of Tracy Taylor of Marie Claire last Spring it inspired me to make a skirt for my older girl(below).

I bought the fabric at downtown at Pearl River for around $13 a yard .
The big trick of making the skirt quickly is to use the selvage as the hem so you don't have to spend forever sewing up the hem. I also did a very small zipper opening and actually used hook & eyes instead of a zipper (another time consuming pain). I kept the top edge raw like the Prada skirt but placed a very tight stitch at the edge so the fabric would not keep unraveling. The pleats I just kinda draped by eye before I cut the fabric.

For a fun quick skirt,$13-ish is a hard to beat price and a dramatic print can hide a ton of wobbly stitching.

Blog Archive