Style Profile...Sohiny Das, New Delhi




Sohiny Das

Job?
I am a fashion designer and a freelance stylist, and I am trying to dabble in a bit of fashion journalism here in India.

Best Sartorial advice from your parents?
'Subtle is best'.

Style icons
No one in particular, but I admire many.

Describe your personal style
More like permutation and combination of limited items, and I try to wear them in a different way every time. I don't think much about what to wear..and that is why the result is a grunge-ethno-preppy mish mash.

I build my daily look around
My schedule for the day..generally a big bag with spare shoes and some make-up, just in case there's an unplanned change.

Personal Style quirk
Oversized items, and menswear.

Favorite designers
Madeline Vionnet, Nicholas Ghesquire, Issey Miyake, Martin Margiela, Dries Van Noten, Anamika Khanna.

Most cherished item
A black dress by Ghost- it is a miracle versatile dress that was made for me- I believe.

I feel best wearing?
Anything loose and slouchy.

The first thing I look at in another Sartorialist's outfit ...
Combination and comfort level.

I always break this fashion rule.
Blend with the trend.

I never break this fashion rule.
Wear it with a sense of humor.

Never caught wearing?
I think I've worn them all...disaster or not.

Most underrated item in menswear/womenswear?
The plain-Jane grey/ black top that goes with everything, and can be teamed up in every possible way.

Dress to impress who?
The mirror, mostly. And my boss..sometimes. It helps.

Shine your own shoes?
No point when you are walking about in India.

Favorite stores?
Flea markets and vintage stores.

Your next "must have" purchase?
Orange Lipstick, and Yellow eyeshadow.

I only buy __________ in Europe.
Lots of jackets..when I lived there.

I skimp when buying ...
Everyday office-wear. No point, in this weather. And dust.

I splurge on.....

Quality inner wear. Very fussy.

Favorite item of clothing
Right now- tapered dark Indigo jeans..not very tight and with a front pleat. Casual, semi formal, dressy.

Guilty pleasure
No guilt in pleasures.

Cologne, skincare?
Dior Addict, Body Shop Tea Tree Range.

Most stylish city (Milan, Paris, London, New York, other)
I have only been to London among the ones mentioned...and yes, people there have very good aesthetics mostly. I like the result of the multicultural mix in the sensibilities, and the fact that the city has something for anyone-from anywhere.

When I was high school I wore?
My own creation- a disaster haircut, and mighty smug about it.

Sports?
Rowing, Badminton.

Favorite fashion magazine?
Spot and Street, Tank, ID..and I only saw a couple of issues of 'Rubbish'.

Favorite vacation spot?
Anywhere, as long as I am with my friends. If on my own, then London.

Favorite neighborhood restaurant?
Leopold's and Mondegar in Mumbai for relaxed unpretentious let-your-hair-down ambience.

Blog Archive