Lismore Hosiery...Closing Day






An appointment cancelled the other day so I decided to wonder around the Lower East Side. Lismore Hosiery ,which I had shot in the past, somehow looked different. When you considering that everytime I passed it in 15 years it always looked exactly the same, I knew something was up....Closing Day. Lismore had occupied the same address for 68 years, I don't think they ever changed the window display in all that time. Inside was just an empty shell of the once flourishing business but like most of the garment businesses in the LES they simply cannot keep up the the times. What amazed me inside were all the little details like the roll top desk in the back room, the wheel covers on the rolling ladders, the ancient adding machine and the smell. It was the exact same smell of my grandma's house. I don't know if it is the smell of old wood, old buildings or old people. I felt really lucky to have been there to record the last day of that business. One day I will show these photos to my daughters and show them how New York use to look.

Blog Archive