Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt play amorous co-workers in “(500) Days of Summer,” directed by Marc Webb.
July 17, 2009
Love at the Greeting Card Company: Best Wishes on Your Breakup
Early in “(500) Days of Summer” the omniscient narrator who intermittently (and somewhat annoyingly) comments on the action cautions that the movie is “not a love story.” The print advertisements qualify his words, describing this slight, charming and refreshingly candid little picture as “a story about love.” Which it is: a story about how love can be confusing, contingent and asymmetrical, and about how love can fail. Given all this, it’s somewhat remarkable that “(500) Days,” the feature directing debut of the music video auteur Marc Webb, is neither depressing nor French.
But it is, all the same, a fairly pointed response to the sorry state of romantic comedy in Hollywood, which runs the gamut from gauzily implausible fantasy to blatant and fatuous dishonesty, with an occasional detour into raunchy humor. The governing commercial calculus these days seems to be that dudes want smut, ladies want weddings, and a picture (like “The Hangover,” say) that delivers both will make the audience happy and the studios rich.
This dispensation means that more delicate, and perhaps more authentic, feelings and attitudes must be spoken about either with subtitles or, from time to time, in mumbles. So a winsome, accessible movie about more-or-less recognizable young people navigating the murky waters of post-sexual-revolutionary, midrecessionary heterosexual attraction has a novelty and a measure of bravery working in its favor, whatever its shortcomings. And “(500) Days” finds just the right scale and tone, neither trivializing nor melodramatically overstating the delicate feelings it explores.
Some of the credibility that Mr. Webb’s movie establishes right away comes from its unassuming and appealing stars, Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. With his crooked smile, reedy physique and improbably deep voice, Mr. Gordon-Levitt camouflages his magnetism with diffidence, much as Ms. Deschanel uses her slightly spacey, vaguely melancholy affect to magnify the charm she is pretending to disguise. Their characters, Tom Hansen and Summer Finn, seem so ideally matched, such a cozily compatible semi-hipster couple, that it’s a bit of a shock when things don’t work out between them.
Don’t worry; I haven’t given anything away. Mr. Webb and the screenwriters, Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber, have scrambled the chronology so that Tom and Summer’s meet-cute and their eventual bust-up occur, in film time, close together and near the beginning. What follows is a shuffled, teasing and ingeniously structured presentation of their romance’s heady commencement, ambiguous middle and (at least for one of them) tormented aftermath. This structure restores a measure of the suspense that is usually missing from the romantic-comedy genre, which relies on climactic chases to the airport and ridiculously contrived choices between rival mates. From the outset you know, more or less, what happened between Tom and Summer, so most of your curiosity is invested in the question of how it all came to pass.
The answers, in themselves, are not earthshakingly dramatic or even especially unusual. A workplace flirtation — Tom and Summer are employees of a Los Angeles greeting card company — leads to a few missed chances, a sweet first kiss and fitful progress from casual to serious. Or so it seems to Tom, an unapologetic believer in true love, soul mates and other touchstones of greeting card mythology (and romantic comedy ideology). Summer is skeptical of such notions and refuses to promise commitment or even consistency, but she does seem to want more and more of Tom’s company, and this leads him to believe that her carefully maintained barriers to intimacy are beginning to fall.
The design of “(500) Days” suggests a puzzle with a few crucial pieces left in the box. Some of this elusiveness comes from an admirable impulse to respect the enigmatic fluctuations of desire and infatuation. But there is also something tentative and half-finished about the film, which substitutes a few too many gimmicks — split screens, a musical number, that voice-over — for moments of real intensity or humor and seems a little afraid to make its main characters too interesting or idiosyncratic.
Instead they project a kind of generic individuality, with shared tastes that ensure a measure of compatibility — they both like the Smiths! — and divergent quirks to provide some interesting friction. (Her favorite Beatle is Ringo!) Tom, whose point of view predominates in spite of the third-person narrator, has a couple of goofy pals (Matthew Gray Gubler and Geoffrey Arend) and a wise younger sister (Chloë Grace Moretz). He also has the stymied, or at least deferred, ambition to be an architect instead of a drone in a best-wishes factory.
One indication of the film’s thinness is that Summer has no such professional or creative pursuits — she’s the assistant to Tom’s boss (Clark Gregg) — and no identifiable passions, friends or characteristics other than her heart-stopping desirability and her vintage-y dresses. Ms. Deschanel excels at playing this kind of cute, quasi-bohemian crush object, but after “Elf” and “Yes Man” and “All the Real Girls” it would be nice if some smitten filmmaker would write her a fully developed, less passive part.
Still, I don’t want to pop the shimmering soap bubble of “(500) Days of Summer,” a movie that is, for the most part, as mopily, winningly seductive as the Regina Spektor songs on the soundtrack and at its best as unexpectedly lovely as the views of Los Angeles captured by Mr. Webb and his director of photography, Eric Steelberg. At first, I mistook the city for Chicago or Philadelphia or some other old-growth conurbation, and Mr. Webb, who has directed videos for artists as different as Miley Cyrus and My Chemical Romance, deserves credit for finding new and fresh perspectives on this overexposed metropolis. There are no beaches or Spanish-style bungalows in the hills, just a scruffy, comfortable atmosphere of melancholy optimism that suits Tom and Summer perfectly, in all their imperfection.
“(500) Days of Summer” is rated PG-13 (Parents strongly cautioned). It has a very mild sexual vibe and some equally mild profanity.
(500) DAYS OF SUMMER
Opens on Friday nationwide.
Directed by Marc Webb; written by Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber; director of photography, Eric Steelberg; edited by Alan Edward Bell; music by Mychael Danna and Rob Simonsen; production designer, Laura Fox; produced by Jessica Tuchinsky, Mark Waters and Mason Novick; released by Fox Searchlight Pictures. Running time: 1 hour 36 minutes.
WITH: Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Tom), Zooey Deschanel (Summer), Geoffrey Arend (McKenzie), Chloë Grace Moretz (Rachel), Matthew Gray Gubler (Paul), Clark Gregg (Vance), Rachel Boston (Alison) and Minka Kelly (Girl at Interview).
Excellent Romantic Comedy
An offbeat, original romantic “date-film” that will surely be a favorite of many of the people who go see it. But do many moviegoers see “small” movies any more, movies without stars and wish-fulfillment worlds shown off through Hollywood production value? This movie will be a test case because it’s chock full of inventive visual and character ideas—and with a leading man and woman who display real on-screen chemistry, a rare occurrence. Although the characters are different than their forebears, one might think of Jean-Pierre Leaud and Anna Karenina in a New Wave film halfway between Godard and Truffaut, but with a more carefully developed American narrative that balances plot and sub-plot (romantic and career ambition) so that the interplay of both depict that certain time of youthful life. With impressive skill, the story navigates a challenging arc, a rather complex flash forward and flashback structure that never becomes confusing or tiresome. Like those New Wave heroines, the female character here represents the mystery of attraction felt by young men who haven’t lived long enough to understand what makes the opposite sex tick. And it is that mystery, that inscrutability, which drives one’s ardor and makes one insanely in love, a love that is perhaps neither healthy nor durable. Scenes that catch your attention are limitless and the first-time director’s immediately displayed and non-stop talent for showing off moments of romance (and the frustration that seems to accompany them) fills every interaction with real feeling.
— garydrucker, Los Angeles
Labels: Lifestyl Fashion
- ► 2011 (2081)
- ► 2010 (3501)
- Sabina Pasha - What dreams are made of......
- Pencil Fashion
- LANVIN FALL 2009
- DIY Inspiration - Marni
- Boudoir: Creating the Bedroom of Your Dreams
- CasaHamza – The NEW Lifestyle!ary !
- On the Street.... All Stripe, Paris
- On the Street.... Navy & White, Florence
- On the Street.... Variation on a Theme, Milano
- Inspiration Night.........dream
- black chandeliers
- COLOR PALETTE,IS FOREVER
- Helen Keller , donne uniche e leggendarie
- SUBLIME Goes Green with Sublime-T
- etsy love: of the wangness of things
- UNIVERSITÄT DER KÜNSTE BERLIN (UDK) / JULIE EILENB...
- The Hunter Berlin
- On the Street.... Shorts Summer, Florence
- fyi: myasho.com summer sale
- On the Street.... Long Summer, Paris
- Jackie, inspiration daily
- The birds, Stephen Jones
- Amir Adnan's New Kurta Collection
- Barbara Bui fall 2009
- Rachel Roy Resort 2010
- On the Street......Striped Right, Florence
- On the Street......Milan in Black & White
- Fashion Spotlight: Little Miss Precious
- Gail Soronda SPRING SUMMER 2010
- Behind Ballet
- Karen Walker FALL 2009
- Ahsan Hussain's "Perfect Collection"
- Not-So-Funny People
- (500) Days of Summer (2009)
- Events Fashion Milan
- Marieclaire magazine/ sfilate
- Olaf Wipperfürth - Photographer
- My New Obsession - Cuffed Jeans
- Anna Piaggi: Fashion-ology
- On the Street......Simple Summer, Paris
- Christopher Kane Resort 2010
- Milan Fashion Week Spring summer 2010
- Amir Adnan's "Princess Collection" 09
- House Of The Very Island Spring Summer 2010
- Fanshion gangs “smiles”
- 6 Trends Summer Fashion 2009
- Fashion trends 2009: The week of fashion in Paris
- Stockholm Fashion Week spring/summer 2009
- fashion 2009
- Monica Exclusive line Victoria Royale
- spotlight: chichia london by christine mhando
- ShopAfrica: thelookboutique.com
- Man Fashion: Top 5 Swim Trunks for This Summer
- On the Street......Belt Driven, Paris
- On the Street......Simple Summer, Milan
- Vivienne Westwood
- New York Fashion Week: Betsey Johnson Fall 2009
- Valentino Film
- Emily McGregor: inspiration
- who wore what: arise magazine july '09
- Aeisha Varsey’s Bridal Collection
- spotlight: alek wek
- On the Street......Mr. Ricci, Florence
- On the Street......Tiny Knit, Milan
- Man Fashion: Men design + Women design = Cross Dre...
- Paris fashion week, photo gallery fall 2009 2010 J...
- Trasparenze..fall 2009
- Emraan Rajput Men's Wear
- Eva, Behind the Scenes of the Italian Elle Shoot -...
- On the Street......Color & Print, Florence
- On the Street......At Dior, Paris
- fyi/event: duro olowu on yinka shonibare
- Teejays White Collection "Fit for Summer Time"
- africa-inspired: styled by camille yvette
- Chanel haute couture collection , details A/W2010
- VALENTINO Diamante Bow Pumps
- On the Street......Summer Chic, Florence
- IWAYA FOR DRESS33 FALL 2009-10
- Marc jacobs details e acs fall 2009
- Toronto Sartorialist/Holt Renfrew Party-ish!
- On the Street......Beaded Vest, Milano
- back...well, sort of :-)
- Man Fashion: Burberry AW09 Prorsum Pre-Collection
- Fashion photographer: LILLIAN BASSMAN
- Marni resort 2010
- VOGUE PARIS : 80 LOOKS
- Prada handbag fashion for 2009
- Fashion bag/Tote/handbag/Shopping Bags
- Boyfriend jeans trend 2009
- Fairy-Tale Romance: 2009 Runway Trend
- Jewel-encrusted Clothing Trend
- Butterflies: 2009 Motif
- Tribal / Ethnic Fashion Trend
- Grecian dresses fashion trend
- One-Shouldered Tops, Dresses & Bikinis
- On the Street......Eva, Paris
- Women's Spring/Summer 2009-2010 Fashion Trends
- Hussein Chalayan Spring, Summer 07.
- Hussein Chalayan
- The Book Has Arrived!
- On the Street......The Character, Bologna
- Amina Sheikh: Dress to Kill
- Samar Medhi's Grecian Gowns
- Fashion Show + Wheelchair Rugby Team?
- Fashion News: Crocs Could be Their Last Legs
- Fayyaz Ahmed "Professional Photographer"
- Cool shopping
- Emraan Rajput New "Black and White" Collection
- Dulhan Magazine Launching Cermony
- On the Street......Jump, Paris
- On the Street......Legs, Milano
- On the Street......Mid-Summer White, Paris
- inspiration : Alexander McQueen
- Wunderkind Fall 2009
- Emma Horton
- Timothy James Andrews
- shopping al block60 Riccione
- On the Street......Marais, Paris
- On the Street......Brown & Blue, Florence
- inspiration daily
- ..in giro per blog, MAROCCAN COLOUR
- Fausto Sarli Alta Moda Roma fall 2010
- Accademia Koefia, final work
- Gianni Calignano Haute Couture, Alta Moda Roma
- Haute beauty fall 2010
- With all Guards Down
- On the Street......Black & White, Milano
- Dominique Sirop haute couture fall 2010 paris
- Alle'Nora by Aliya Tipu “Bridal and Commercial Mak...
- On the Street......Tonal, Paris
- Sneakers of the Week: ALIFE
- Sophie Griotto
- The design files: Nipa Doshi
- VOGUE LIVING
- The wonderful world of Vuitton
- Mr.Dior is whatchng you !
- On the Street......Paris in Bloom
- On the Street......American Classics, Paris
- Fashion Studio: Riccardo Tisci
- Alexandre Herchcovitch fall 2009
- I designer di domani....il concorso di Peek & Clop...
- Berlin Fashion Week : Julie Eilenberger
- Sana Raees New "Floral Frenzy"
- Man Fragrance of the Month: Kenzo Power
- Gwen Stefani's Wedding ... oh oh
- On the Street......Waiter at Caffe Florian, Venice...
- On the Street......BalMAN, Paris
- Givenchy’s Fall 2010 Couture Details
- ELEY KISHIMOTO - SPRING / SUMMER 2009
- Yumi Katsura Haute Couture fall 2004
- la muse de David Downton, ERIN
- Couture Club , inspiration
- On the Street......Ninth Ave., NYC
- On the Street......Belted Jacket, Paris
- Elie Saab a/w 2009/10 Paris Haute Couture
- Contest: Hoodie Design
- LIMITED Editions 2009 Hand Bags Collection
- At Prada....Cut-off Shorts, Milano
- Haute couture Paris...street
- Al défilé Chanel Haute Couture, paparazzi...
- Jean Paul Gaultier haute couture 2010 fall
- by Ed Hardy and Ferrari GTB Fiorano
- Loulou de la Falaise a/w 2009/10 Paris Haute Coutu...
- On the Street......Milano Goes Green, Milano
- Valentino fall/winter 2009/10 Paris Haute Couture
- On the Street......Summer Black, Paris
- Sanam Agha new Embroidered Line "Sexy and Mysterio...
- At Dior
- Stéphane Rolland fall/winter 2009/10 Paris Haute C...
- On Aura Tout Vu : a/w 09/10 Paris Haute Couture
- Alexandre Matthieu fall/winter 2009/10 Paris Haute...
- Chanel FALL 2009/10 Paris Haute Couture
- On the Street......Silver Top to Toe, Paris
- On the Street......Lino of Milano!
- Christian Lacroix , haute couture fall 2010
- Parigi Haute Couture: Givenchy di Riccardo Tisci a...
- Something in the Air? Lanvin, Paris
- Celebrity Fashion: Gabriel Aubry
- CHRISTIAN DIOR HAUTE COUTURE
- Sonia Rykiel Spring 2009 Ad Campaign
- Jonathan Saunders Resort 2010
- FASHION BLOGGERS
- Alexis Mabille : Haute Couture A/W 09/10
- Armani Privé autumn/winter 2009/10 Paris Haute Cou...
- Christian Dior: Paris Fashion Week Haute Couture A...
- On the Street......Short Cycle, Paris
- On the Street......Raider Nation, Paris
- Paris Haute Couture: Christian Dior a/w 2009/10
- Man Fashion: Raf Simon 2010 Collection
- Chic Evening Bags “Love to have on Amina’s Hand”
- Bottega Veneta.... Best of Milan?
- Hot Pink? Call It 'Mangenta'
- Pre-Altared: More Used Wedding Gowns Go Back on Ma...
- ACNE PRE COLLECTION SS 2010
- Bon Ton Eccentrico for Flair Magazine by Chad Pitm...
- Amna Ajmal's Haute Couture 09'
- in giro per......vogue brazil august 2009
- On the Street......Corso Venezia, Milano
- At Dior.....Cool Summer, Paris
- David and Victoria Beckham in New Armani Ads
- Jackson Memorial Opened Up
- James Abidi " Back to Black"
- Fashion | Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott
- Man Fashion: Phantaci + Whiz??
- Milli and Madiha's "Black Magic"
- SPRING SUMMER 2009, JASON WU
- JASON WU RESORT 2010
- JASON WU FALL 2009
- Vogue Italia May 2008
- The Lido with My Workshop Students, Venice
- Munib Nawaz Simply the Best
- Central Saint Martins 2009
- Ali Fateh Evening Handbags: “Trendy & Elegant”
- On the Street......Light as Light, Paris
- khmer Photo
- On the Street......Cape for Spring Breezes, Paris
- ▼ July (216)
- ► 2008 (1373)
- ► 2007 (1053)
- ► 2006 (1152)