Top 5 Post-Couture Designers

My Top 5 Post-Couture Designers

1. Armani -first designer to create something revolutionary in both mens and womens - he is the 80's

2. CDG , Yohji - Proved that true artists can also create a viable business. They are wildcards that always seem timeless and of-the-moment simultaneously

3. Halston - I have never been a huge fan but Halston and YSL define the 70's

4. Prada - this story is still being told but , for me, she defines the 90's

5. Marc Jacobs - I think he will prove to be America's most important designer yet. He can deliver $5 bangles in his Marc by Marc store on Bleecker to the most refined items at LV/MJ with the same level of integrity. I think that is totally modern.

5A Ralph Lauren - Few designers have ever created such a complete world of style so successfully and across so many various categories. His ability to do that is remarkable.

Where does McQueen fit in?
I have often asked my friends in the business what was their all-time favorite fashion show and a McQueen show (there have been too many blockbusters to name just one) has been the most consistent answer.

Does size matter?
How can you fit in Dries Van Noten or Margiela or Westwood. Should there be a Top 5 Independent List? but 4 of my top 5/5a are still independents.

And your Top 5 Post-Couture All-Time Greatest designers?
(I think it would be more interesting if we it based on who had the "biggest impact" on thier time period.)

Blog Archive