Alan Flusser On Thom Browne



New York is at the beginning of a menswear revival.
Michael Bastian, Cloak, Barker Black are creating collections with a level of sophistication we have not seen here in years.
Thom Browne is the lighting rod of this group. His designs are based on the classic work of the Brooks Brothers/ JFK 60’s, which I know you are a big fan of, so what is your take on Thom Browne?

“Those are the most irresponsible clothes I’ve ever seen in my 30 years in fashion.
To charge that much money for a coat that is deliberately short……the whole thing is like, childlike. I understand the sensibility; believe me I understand, it but if you want to sell a customer that, that to me is… I’m sure the allure is that is “new classics” but that is as “fashiony” as Dolce & Gabbana.”

But don’t you think that is the customer who is buying it.
“As long as people understand that - it's ok. As long as they understand it is of limited longevity, that is ok but I don’t think they sell it like that. Thom Browne doesn’t wear like that. I think it is irresponsible - if I was Bergdorf I would be out of my mind.“

Blog Archive