Pajamas - The Real Eveningwear



So, I just turned 41, and recently bought my first pair of real pajamas.

I guess I was always wearing sweats, or lounge pants, or knit shorts and a simple tee to bed. I had never put much thought into my sleepwear. However, I began to reconsider my nocturnal strategy once I began staying in nicer hotels in Milan and Paris. I often work on my laptop in bed while traveling, and I had begun to feel that the hotel bed was dressed better than me!

It didn't take me long to find the pair above at Brooks Brothers for around $80 (on sale now for about $60). I love them, and I finally feel as chic as my bed in Milan. However, I worry that I might be sliding down that slippery slope to fuddy-duddyism. So I have a question to the ladies in the audience (I think the men in the audience will carefully consider your answers).

What do you want to see your man wearing to bed at night? (don't say a naughty grin, that wouldn't be fair)

The other downside of this pj purchase is the fact that my sartorialism might be getting out of hand.

I recently found myself checking old movies to see what length the shirt on a pair of pj's should be. There is a great scene in The Philadelphia Story (scene 18 on my DVD) when Cary Grant answers the door, to a drunk Jimmy Stewart, while wearing a great pair of pj's. I mean if you are going to look for inspiration on how something should fit then why not go to the master. I am now struggling with the choice of either marking the alterations on the pj shirt myself at home, or do I take them to the tailor and have them marked there. I am not looking forward to walking out of the dressing room in my pj's.

In related news...



I don't know why I think it is so funny, but whenever I wear a terrycloth robe in a hotel I have to put a wash cloth in the chestpocket - like a little matching terrycloth pocket square. I know it's just plain silly, but I can't help it. At least the waiters who deliver room service in Milan always seem to get a chuckle out of it.

Blog Archive