Style Profile.....Simon Kneen, VP & Creative Design Director, Brooks Brothers

One of the first posts I did on The Sartorialist was about how surprisingly good the Brooks Brothers Fall 2005 advertising campaign was.

The store is also looking really good lately - they seem to be finding and good balance between classics and modern fashion. I guess it helps that so many of the classics Brooks Brothers has introduced through the years are so fashionable right now. I sat down with one of the main men behind the Brooks Brothers revival Simon Kneen ,VP & Creative Design Director, to find out a little more about his personal style.

Best Sartorial advice from your Dad?
Be Smart!

I only buy ____slim pants_____ in Europe.

I only buy ____button down shirts______ in America.

You build your daily look around your?
Color palette – coordinated and never matched

The first thing I look at in another Sartorialist’s outfit.
Overall togetherness

I skimp when buying.
My rule is to always buy the best you can afford

I splurge when buying.
Socks - as I only recently discovered cashmere ones

I always break this fashion rule.
There are no rules in fashion and if I felt there were I would certainly break them.
Now good taste is another question…..

Must have item for Fall 2006
Something in natural camelhair – sweater or sportcoat

Favorite store
New York – Brooks Brothers Madison
London – Purdey
Paris – Old England (sadly closing)
Milan – Biffi Uomo
Hong Kong – Dries Van Noten

Style icon
Anyone in Milan

Worst fashion mistake
Too many to mention

Most cherished item
Denims that have aged with me.

Favorite item of clothing
Brooks Brothers Made to Measure suits and My button down oxford shirts.

Favorite “fashiony” movie
Funny Face

Guilty pleasure
I never feel guilty about any pleasure.

Personal Style quirk
At the moment no socks with shoes and pocket squares

Most overrated item in menswear
I’m not a tie person

Most underrated item in menswear
Having things tailored to your body.

Most stylish city?
Milan by far –though London is catching up .

Never caught wearing?
Flip –flops and headwear indoors.

When I was high school I wore?
School uniform of grey flannel and the most horrendous shade of Royal Blue for blazers and sweaters.

Shine your own shoes?
Sometimes yes. It is good therapy in making me appreciate the good things I can afford.

Hobby?
Music

Sports?
Tennis when I visit my family in England

Favorite fashion magazine?
American Vogue

Favorite other magazine?
Vanity Fair

Cologne, skincare?
Creed Eurofla – been wearing it forever and I always moisturize with anything available after shaving

Blog Archive