Michael Williams, NO.9 Public Relations

I always wondered where "trads" (traditionalists) came from? Was it something you could be born into or ,more likely, was it something you adopted after flings with New Romantics, Rebel, Jock, Nerd or Euro?

Recently I met Michael Williams, a cool, young, New York trad who owns NO.9 Public Relations. He is the perfect example of how any style (no matter how potentially unhip), if mixed the right way and worn with a certain attitude can work on almost anybody, any age.

The Sartorialist asked Michael a few questions about his personal style.
Describe your personal style
Neo-trad

Personal style quirk
I love to change outfits in the middle of the day.

You build your daily look around your?
Everyday its something different... sometimes shoes, sometimes pants,
other times a jacket or shirt.

The first thing I look at in another Sartorialist's outfit?
Overall fit

I always break this fashion rule.
Brown & Black or Navy & Black

I never break this fashion rule.
I really don't follow "fashion rules" I like to wear what feels good
and looks right to me.

Must have item for Fall 2006
Anything from Michael Bastian AW06

Favorite store(s)
J. Press – NYC
Steven Alan – NYC
By George – Austin
American Rag – LA
Cable Car Clothiers – San Francisco

Style icon
JFK

Worst fashion mistake
Shirt collars over jacket lapels

Favorite item of clothing
Some great vintage woven shirts from J. Press in the 80s

Favorite "fashiony" movie
Wall Street , American Psycho – basically any 80's prep movie

Guilty pleasure
Tote bags, Denim

Most overrated item in menswear
Made in Italy

Most underrated item in menswear
Made in USA

Most stylish city
New York

When I was high school I wore?
Penny loafers

Shine your own shoes?
Of course

I always dress my best for….?
Carnegie Hall

Blog Archive