Style Profile...Romney Leader, NYC


Romney Leader

Job?
Associate Fashion Editor, Style.com

Best Sartorial advice from your parents?
Never be afraid to do your own thing.

Style icons?
Tina Chow, Anita Pallenberg, Iris Apfel

Describe your personal style...
Constantly evolving! I tend to have a favorite piece or silhouette I wear constantly until something else catches my eye. I also hate looking like I put much thought into it or looking too ‘done.’ Style-wise it’s a mix of everything that’s influenced me aesthetically: growing up in Texas, living and working in New York, and all of the music and cultures I took a liking to in my early years.

I build my daily look around?
Comfort, for sure - and my schedule for the day. If I’m not wearing flats or boots I have a pair close at hand, and even though I hate the cold weather I love the way the right coat adds the finishing touch to a look.

Personal Style quirk?
I nick pants and shirts from my boyfriend’s closet constantly, and I don’t think there’s such a thing as jewelry that’s too chunky.

Favorite designers?
Ann Demeulemeester, Yohji Yamamoto, Martin Margiela…anyone who does their own thing and is effortlessly on point without coming across as overly trendy.

Most cherished item?
My engagement ring and my grandfather’s felt fedora.

Never caught wearing?
Halter tops.

Most underrated item in menswear/womenswear?
The perfectly tailored woven shirt, the slouchy trouser, and the leather biker jacket.

Dress to impress who?
Strangers or my boss…ha…though really it’s my own reflection I’m most after.

Flats or heels?
I’m a huge advocate of flats- I don’t think heels necessarily make you look more put together.

Favorite stores?
Barneys for one-stop; Camden Market or one of the many vintage stores along the Texas highways for treasures, and sample sales…

Your next "must have" purchase?
Ann Demeulemeester lace-up open boots, a Lanvin silk trench, one of the Dries Van Noten metallic ball necklaces, and a pair of those Dolce silk “pajama” pants.

I skimp when buying ...
If I’m test-driving a trend (say, harem pants) I head to Zara. I also cheap out on leggings, scarves, and denim.

I splurge on...
Sweaters, pants, woven shirts- anything that benefits from tailoring and luxe fabrics.

Favorite item of clothing?
Currently: ultra wide-leg cropped pants from 3.1, black Balenciaga sweater that flares out at the sides, and a wool military-inspired vest from Camilla & Marc.

Favorite fashion magazines?
Vogue and Teen Vogue

Favorite (style) books?
I find home décor books more inspiring than anything, especially ones like ‘Tony Duquette.’

Favorite stylish movies?
The Royal Tenenbaums and Annie Hall.

Favorite vacation spot?
Vieques, PR and the south of France.

Favorite neighborhood restaurant?
Diner and Aurora (both in Williamsburg).

Blog Archive