Just A Thought

Within the whole make-over discussion, a lot of people said that they felt this idea went against the core of The Sartorialist mission statement (so to speak).

Actually it is at the very core and basically the reason the blog started in the first place.

I have always said that the reason I started the blog was because i was not feeling inspired by the guys I was seeing in magazines.

I was wanting to refine my own style so i went out with my camera and started taking pictures (initially of men) that I thought would help me and inspire me in my choices. Actually, I was the first Sartorialist make-over.

I took a chance and shared the photos because i thought other guys might be feeling the same way. In two years I have received lots of emails from people that have done their own makeovers or refinements inspired by images they have seen on this blog.

I am very happy to share and celebrate other peoples personal style but I have always said that abstract inspiration was the core of my views and decisions.

I cannot honestly say that I have captured these subjects "personal style" because most of them I simply don't know from Adam. I could have easily caught them on their best or worse day ever, but once I decide to take a picture I try to take the best photograph I can given the conditions. With a little luck and hard work I think I have gotten pretty good at capturing more than just the clothes but the spirit of why I was attracted to that subject in the first place.

Is this all based on my judgments?
Of course, I am the only one here at The Sartorialist but because of the blog format it can create a great discussion and inspiration for lots of people.


Just a thought

Blog Archive