Sartorialist #1 - Earl Schuman


My Father passed away last week.

I won't try to write about what he meant to me, because I am not a good enough writer to express that level of sentiment. He was simply the single most influential figure in my life. Even though everyone has always said,  "you're just like your Dad," I never really tried to follow in his footsteps. He gave me that freedom very openly. However, he was a writer, director, producer and occasional on-screen talent - and guess what, I somehow ended up doing most of the same things.  

While going through old photographs last week I found a set of images from around 1964 or 1965. My Dad had an assignment to report on the movie projects that were currently filming all over Europe. He was to interview the big stars of the day and produce small segments for the local Florida TV station. I have always thought of my Dad as more of a writer than director so it was so surprising to see snaps of him with a movie camera in his hand looking absolutely chic - in a lot of the same places that I now visit.

Here is my Dad (wearing the sunglasses and some very early Prada) on the set of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum."

Here he is in the foothills of Rome. I don't know which movie he was covering there, but I do remember him telling me that while on the set of "Doctor Zhivago" he lost his camera in a huge drift of fake snow.

Here he is arriving in Madrid.

OK, that is enough with the old family photos.

My Dad was the #1 fan of this blog. Everyday he looked at the new posts and would read every comment.

However, my dad wasn't a blind cheerleader. When he felt I wasn't living up to my potential he let me know it, in no uncertain terms. I thank him for that.

Finally, I would like to thank my two sisters and my Mom. They were the perfect team to go through this with. I learned something new about the strength of each one of them, and about the depth of love that a family can have for one another. Thank you.

In keeping with my Dad's tradition of exotic, chic travel, I am off to Australia tonight. I will report from Melbourne and Sydney. If I get a sign-off soon I will also visit Sao Paulo this month.

Blog Archive